Friday 30 April 2010

Mojo!

Okay, so when I said, 'I'll write tomorrow about the gig' (or something to that effect), I actually meant, 'I'll write a week later about the gig and various other things.'

So first things first, the Mojo gig.

It was alright. It wasn't the worst gig I've done by a long shot, yes, Windsor after Barfly/Zanzibar I mean you, and yes, The Cavern AKA Heather-here's-a-song-we-wrote-yesterday-I-know-we're-on-in-an-hour-but-just-take-the-lyrics-on-stage-with-you-it'll-be-fine, I mean you as well. But I think it may have been behind those two, for one thing I couldn't hear myself at all, and think I may have ended up battling with the guitars to be heard, resulting in some very shouty covers. Also, the fact that I went straight to Donna's to get ready from Uni and was already rushing when I got a stressed phonecall from Chris saying I needed to be there NOW when I only had one half of an eye made up and wasn't even half ready, with wet nail varnish, and horrible uni hair, well that kind of made me a tad hulk like. I've apologised to everyone I might have terrified in that hour, but I'll do it again now, I AM SO SORRY, like really. Sorry for being a bitch. I'm not usually a bitch.

So, I tried really hard to keep still while Hope put my face on, while Jess simutaneously straightened my hair (which was horribly flat, Donna was going to volumise it but no time...or so we thought), and tried not to be too horrible because those guys are all my friends and I was really grateful for them all supporting me, even if I didn't show it...and then we phoned two taxis, one of which took about half an hour to come, we could have walked there in less time, and the other which didn't come so Danni, Andri and Jake had to walk anyway.


Anyway, I finally got to Mojo, squinted round for the band, expecting them to be fuming, and on stage or something, but all was well! We hadn't even soundchecked yet!!!!!! :/ In fact, we didn't soundcheck for about an hour and a half after I got there, so I could have had fab hair and not shouted at everyone. No idea why people thought we were going to have a disaster, with no singer, but there you go.

So the actual set, me and Sean opened with an acoustic cover of Last Nite by The Strokes, then performed my favourite of ours, Love In The Eyes of A Lonely Hearted Girl (Just so you know, I didn't come up with that title, I'm far too macho for that), and they went well, apart from a bit in Last Nite when I thought we'd finished, and Sean didn't (I suppose that's what happens when you come up with a song the night before and don't practice ever) but people said nice things anyway, and I caught Andri singing along to Love In The Eyes.

After the acoustics, the rest of the band joined us on stage, and we did the covers first, which personally, I hated. The verses in Lost In Stereo are pretty low down in my range, and it really could have done with some backing vocals, which I thought were gonna be there. The Great Escape was okay, I just felt like I had to shout a lot over the music, just to hear if I was in tune or not.

Jenny and Not About The Girls were good. Everyone did really well with their solos, especially Liam on the drums. I think that was actually my favourite part of the whole set, but overall on our songs, I think there was better energy and all of us really got into them. Especially NATG. So yeah, good gig. And Hope was brilliant as the photographer, I haven't saw the pictures properly yet, because it's everyone's last week in uni, and we both have millions of essay dealines, but she really put in the effort, getting into tiny little corners and stuff to make sure she got everyone on, and doing the group photos afterwards. And she did it for free. It's not like she was obliged to do it or anything, but I bet they'll be our best pictures so far.

So we've got another one on Sunday now, we were meant to be taking a break to write until July, but this one came up, so looks like we're doing it! It'll most probably be the same set, considering we don't have lyrics for the new song yet, in fact I haven't heard it yet, but Chris and Liam both said it was sick, and I believe them :P, so maybe the covers will be decent this time. I want us to be amazing, and I know how well everyone can play, so there's no reason for us not to be good, if we get a good sound. Still can't wait for July 10th though, by then we should have some really good new songs, and will be completely used to playing together, as long as there are no major changes in true Dear Chicago style!

You know what, this is a pretty long post, so I'll prattle on about everything else another time. Probably after the Baa Bar gig, or when I should be doing an assignment (like right now).

Ahh! I forgot! I just wanna thank everyone for coming down to support us, I really appreciate it.

Mum, Dad, Donna, Jess, Andri, Danni, Jake, Alex, Day, Kev, you're all the best!

Danii, amazing manager
Hope, amazing photographer

No comments:

Post a Comment